PR and Communications Officer
Run For All
Permanent, 40 hours per week
Salary: up to £26K dependent on experience
Closing date: 24 September 2018
Jane Tomlinson’s Run For All is one of the UK’s biggest not-for-profit sporting event companies, staging a large number of high profile mass participation events including the Leeds 10K and York 10Ks, Leeds Half Marathon and The Yorkshire Marathon.
Run For All is now looking for a talented PR and Communications Officer to join its expanding marketing and communications team.
As PR and Communications Officer, you will be responsible for developing and implementing effective communications across all key functions.
You will develop, manage and implement integrated media plans to ensure all media opportunities are fully maximised, keeping effective contact with relevant media contacts to ensure positive and collaborative relationships are developed and maintained.
You will work closely with the Marketing Manager to create and manage the annual communications strategy. You will carry out a range of duties from content creation (writing press releases, case studies, blogs, updating the website, marketing emails and social media content) to deliver effective marketing and PR campaigns and collateral, both on and offline.
You should be confident in creating accurate and engaging copy and have some understanding of SEO. You should be social media savvy, a good storyteller, have a great turn of phrase and be bursting with fresh ideas. You will be a confident communicator and good at building relationships with a range of stakeholders, including the media. You will be confident in dealing with media enquiries and being the media spokesperson for the organisation.
You will possess excellent communication skills and be proficient across the full range of IT packages, including Microsoft Office, Word, Power Point and Excel. Knowledge of HTML, CMS and database management would be an advantage.
A genuine enthusiasm for sports will be an advantage in this role.
With charity at our core, we are looking to employ someone who understands the unique ethos of and aims of our organisation. Applicants should be enthusiastic and hardworking, be flexible and have a positive attitude and a good sense of humour. You will need to own a car and have a full clean driving licence to be considered for this position. You should expect to work a number of weekends and occasionally, out of hours, especially throughout the event season.
To apply, please send your CV, a covering letter and two examples of articles, blogs or other creative written work, to Siobhan Curtis via firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 24th September 2019
We are not accepting applications from recruitment agencies for this role.
Full job specification:
PR and Communications officer
Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week
Salary: Up to £26,000 depending on experience
Reports to: Marketing Manager
Internal: Head of Commercial, Marketing Manager, Sponsorships and Corporate Manager, Digital Marketing Executive, Marketing Assistant, Press and Marketing Assistant, and Events and Admin teams, Charity team.
External: Creative agency, Digital/SEO agency, media, general public, charities, sponsors, suppliers and contractors.
· Develop, manage and implement the online and offline communications and marketing strategy
· Secure and manage all media partnership across the Run For All series
· Support the development of good working relationships with journalists across all media, locally, regionally and nationally to deliver maximum coverage across print, broadcast and digital media
· Manage the Marketing and PR Assistant, providing mentorship and leadership
· Write and distribute high quality, creative and engaging media releases and statements to support the promotion of the events and its partners
· Deliver a fast, accurate response to media enquiries including the co-ordination of reasonable out-of-hours response
· Identify stories and maximise local, regional and national media opportunities
· Act as point of contact for all press and media enquiries, arranging interviews and photo calls
· Liaise directly with media, celebrities, families and spokespersons
· Generate engaging and exciting content across the full range of channels
· Pitch stories to the media, securing coverage
· Organise and manage all event launches and other PR event opportunities
· Be the point of contact for Run For All celebrity management and endorsement
· Assist in the management and development of Run For All’s websites and social media channels – helping to grow traffic and audiences
· Oversee all Run For All social media channels ensuring the brand, including key messages, corporate identity and style and ensure a consistent approach across all communications platforms
· Undertake appropriate crisis communications/reputation management processes as required in conjunction with the marketing and sponsorship managers
· Monitor, record and evaluate PR coverage achieved
· Assist with ongoing reviews and evaluation of whether we are reaching the right audiences and achieving communications goals
You will be educated to degree level. Ideally, you will be a PR, Marketing or Journalism graduate or have equivalent experience.
You will have a good understanding of the fundamentals of PR and Marketing and be skilled in creating clear, concise and engaging copy. Experience of blogging, social media, websites and other digital marketing channels would be an advantage. You will be passionate and a quick learner, enthusiastic with a positive demeanour and a can-do attitude. This role can be hands-on so you must be happy to pitch in with a full range of tasks.
You will be fully conversant with the full range of IT packages, including Microsoft Office, Power Point, Word and Excel. HTML, CMS and database experience would be an advantage.
Organisational Skills – Excellent organisational skills are essential. You will contribute to and implement the communications and marketing strategy to ensure all marketing and promotional avenues are exploited
Creative Thinking – You will understand the requirements of the organisation and use creative processes and ideas to deliver effective communications and marketing programmes and campaigns
Team Working – You will build and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and external contractors, collaborate and co-operate with other team members to get the job done, valuing their input and knowledge and building trust and respect
Driving Licence – You will possess a full driving licence and your own car