Strategic Communications Manager
Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government
Salary: £38,112 (London) £34,973 (National)
Contract type: Permanent
37 hours per week
Location: City of Westminster, London, SW1P 4DF
Closing date: 9 Dec 2018
About the job
We are looking for an experienced communications professional with creative and strategic skills, to join our busy communications team at the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
Our work impacts the daily lives of people and communities, so we need the very best communications professionals working in our team. We deal with some of the most high-profile policy issues across government, from building more homes and addressing issues in the rental sector to funding local government; and from tackling homelessness to driving economic growth across the country through the Northern Powerhouse. We have also been leading the cross-government response to the Grenfell Tower fire.
In this new role, you will help develop and implement ambitious multi-channel campaigns to ensure we are reaching the right audiences, securing cut through and changing behaviour. You will also ensure we operate consistently and effectively with our wide range of external stakeholders from local government, the housing and third sector, and faith groups.
You will need to build relationships across Government and have the ability to develop authoritative and measurably effective communications strategies on complex and politically contentious issues.
You’ll provide strategic advice on communications activity to senior policy and communications colleagues and your excellent organisational skills will help support the development, planning and implementation of campaigns that deliver measurable change.
• Help deliver creative and innovative campaigns that include stakeholder and influencer strategies and, working with digital and marketing colleagues, social media, and paid-for, owned and earned content.
• To develop, maintain and influence strategic relationships with key stakeholders; and build an evidence base of stakeholder sentiment and reaction to help inform discussion and ensure a broad range of views are represented in policy and communication development.
• To identify proactive opportunities to promote MHCLG’s agenda, and develop a multi-channel strategy that supports MHCLG’s business objectives.
• Line manage a Strategic Communications Officer to help deliver on priority campaigns.
• Proven experience of leading high profile and effective communications campaigns.
• Strong influencing and negotiation skills in working with senior leaders to understand departmental requirements and develop trusted and authoritative two way relationships
• Strong political judgement and creative thinking – able to provide advice and manage risks and reputational issues.
• The ability to think creatively to reach key audiences and find solutions.
• Proven experience in establishing relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders to support delivery of business outcomes.
• Experience working in a fast paced communication role.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
For further information about the role, please contact Zoë Meeres on 0303 444 2322 or via email email@example.com
Sifting is envisaged to take place W/C 10/12/2018 with interviews provisionally scheduled for either W/C 17/12/2018 or 07/01/2019 at 2 Marsham Street, London.