Department for International Trade
Reference number: 1623631
Salary: £30,561 - £34,173
Contract type: Permanent
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Hours: 37 (42 FTE)
Closing date: 1 Apr 2019
About the job
Are you a social media native with an interest in current affairs and digital communications? Are you looking for an exciting new challenge in a high-profile government communications environment? A chance to build on your media and digital skillset and receive development opportunities in return?
If you’re a motivated self-starter who can create high quality content for a variety of digital channels then we want to hear from you.
We’re looking for a content producer with strong writing and storytelling skills, the ability to trial new tools and an interest in digital marketing to join our busy Communications directorate.
Being able to work at pace is a must to succeed in the role, as one day you could be asked to provide digital communications to support a major campaign and the next, plan, deliver and evaluate communications impact.
Our Content and Digital team is a specialist team of communications professionals who strategically plan media and digital communications activity and develop creative communication strategies to communicate government policies.
You will be part of a group of innovative content creators and curators who put content at the very heart of our communication and marketing strategy.
You will join at a time of considerable growth, helping to build innovative data-driven approaches to digital communications to get across messages in real-time.
It is essential to have a natural interest in all things digital and a passion for how the DIT can communicate its news.
Your work will directly help the department in its responsibilities to promote and support opportunities for export and investment, deliver the best international trading framework for the UK, and build appetite for UK goods and services.
No two days will be the same and rarely a day goes by without mention of the department in the national, local, international and specialist media.
• Collaborating with teams across the wider directorate and department including teams based overseas to create high quality engaging content.
• Working closely with the Media Team and Marketing teams to deliver content on the right platforms at the right time – whether owned, earned or paid for.
• Evaluating content performance, working closely with teams across the directorate.
• Integrating content into communications and marketing campaigns, particularly around global trade events.
• Helping develop new ways of story-telling in the digital environment.
Personal Attributes & Skills
• The successful candidate will be a dynamic communicator with excellent oral and written skills - particularly able to assimilate complex information and explain it concisely.
• Your ability to multitask and deliver the highest quality communications products, at pace, will enable you to hit the ground running in this important role.
• You will be collaborative, confident, thoughtful and authoritative, maintaining sound judgement even under pressure.
• You will keep up to date on the rapidly changing nature of communications – and how to put that to good use, especially in digital and social media.
• Using audience insight to evaluate the efficacy of social media output and suggesting improvements for future content and strategy.
• You’ll be curious, creative, keen to explore new techniques and tools, and to try new approaches.
• Proven, significant experience of working on digital content creation and content publishing on social media channels for a company/organisation (including Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook)
• Successful track record of data-driven digital story telling
• Have worked as part of a responsive team balancing multiple projects simultaneously
• Expert use of social listening tools to analyse social media approach and content performance to make recommendations and improvements.
• Use of photo and video editing software such as Photoshop, Premier Pro or Final Cut
• Testing of new online techniques, tools and approaches to develop best practice
• Good understanding of news, politics, current affairs and digital trends
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Delivering at Pace
Changing and Improving
Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass basic security checks.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules.
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths and Experience.
As part of the application process you will be asked to submit a CV. Your CV should provide details of your career to date and any personal experiences and skills that are relevant to the role. Maximum 500 words.
In the event of a high volume of applications, a short sift will be conducted on the CV and lead behaviour (Communicating and Influencing).
Applicants will be expected to demonstrate the essential role requirements within the application behaviours responses.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non EEA nationals. Further information on whether you are able to apply is available here.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Contact point for applicants
For more information about this vacancy please contact Kevin Partridge on 020 7215 6824 or via Kevin.email@example.com
Sift/interview dates and location
Sift to commence 2 April 2019.
Interviews to take place w/c 15 April 2019.