LinkedIn with six million profiles in the UK is becoming the default way to look at digital CVs. But isn't it about time you made more of yours?
by Andy Ball
My LinkedIn profile is so important to my new business and because of this I probably spend more time than I should ensuring it is up to date, informative and accessible.
I despair sometimes as I view profiles on LinkedIn.
Would you send a half-finished CV, with spelling mistakes and a poor photo in for a new job opportunity you are really keen on?
REMEMBER – your LinkedIn profile is your CV, just in a different format.
Here are 10 Top Tips to improving your LinkedIn profile:
1. Download the LinkedIn App to your phone – very useful for updating your status update or sharing links & stories with your network.
2. Ensure you have a photo on your profile – are you are happy it reflects you in a positive way?
3. Are you a member of Groups – do you contribute, access or read from any of them? Continually assess and try other groups.
4. How many are in your network – put some time aside each day or week to continually add to your network (the App is very useful for this)
5. Status – how often do you change your Status? This is an excellent way of alerting your network that you are still alive!
6. Outcome focused profile – Employers want to see what you have achieved throughout your career so ensure your profile reflects this.
7. Changed roles – if you start a new Perm or Interim role make sure you keep your profile updated with this information.
8. Endorsements – a new addition to LinkedIn that enables your connections to endorse various skills you have.
9. Recommendations – a great reference point for viewers of your profile to see what your colleagues, ex colleagues, peers etc think of you and your skills. Ensure they are genuine and not from friends and family!
10. Contact details – As an Interim or Consultant you should make it as easy to be contacted as possible. So include your mobile, e-mail, twitter account.
Andy Ball has 15 years experience in recruitment and has recently launched ie recruitment. His LinkedIn profile is here.